Skip to main content

Back to Barcelona

You have no idea how good it feels to be back. We've been longing for this time; we even listened to Michael Buble "Home" dozens of times! We flew from London, and that was a nightmare. We woke up so early to get to the airport and we were supposed to get back by 11, but there was a problem with our airplane and we had to switch planes. It took almost 3 hours extra, but we eventually made it. We were greeted by my parents; they arrived a day or two earlier.

It's been nice to get back into the swing of things. Alastair has a stress-free year. He already has a job offer, so no interviews, and he only has class from Monday-Wednesday. So we get longer weekends and way more family time!

We took advantage of the weather and spent our time at the beach. Alastair would go for runs while Emre and I rode next to him on my new bike (I love it!) and we would finish off with a swim in the sea. Our favorite place to go is Castelldefels. There were fewer waves and it was very shallow. We were there for hours and Emre was out in the water the whole time; he loved it!


We've also had plenty of friends visit! Jensen stayed for a bit and it was so nice to see him again! He also visited Paris and came back with some gifts; my favorite lip balm! Nuxe honey lip balm, the absolute best. ever. it's amazing. We also met up with Hayley, another Googler, and we went out to this amazing restaurant. It was also the last day of La Merce, so we went to Montjuic to watch the fireworks, lights, fountains, and fire show. It was so cool! And there were so many people. After the show, people were walking all over the place. Alastair and I both stepped into mud and our shoes were covered. A wild night! Aditi also came to visit! She was here for a Google leadership graduation and so we met up for tapas. Lolita is such an amazing place for tapas; so good! It's been fun catching up with friends and for them to come out and see us!

School has been going well for Alastair, I think. Well, I'm assuming. He's also been helping his friends with case interviews, prepping them. He's also been running a lot, training for another marathon. And he's also been into buying tickets. It's like his guilty pleasure and he's so good at finding a good deal! We already have our month-long Christmas vacation all set, a few trips in November, and my birthday. We usually don't plan ahead, but when you find a good deal, you go for it!
I've been getting back into fitness, going to the gym. It's nice to finally have some time for myself. First year, it wasn't possible to do anything. But now, Alastair can watch Emre while I go out. I love it, it makes me happy!

As for Emre, he's doing good! While other kids his age are going to pre-preschool, we can't afford it cause it's ridiculously expensive and I want him to enjoy his childhood. I mean, he's traveled the world, he'll be fine if he doesn't go. He's already learning to write and he knows how to spell his name. He also knows how to count and all that stuff, so I think he'll be fine. I just sometimes feel bad, like I'm not doing enough, at least to the standard with what everyone is doing. I see all my friends with kids Emre's age; they have their first day of school pic and all that. But not Emre. I have to remind myself that it's fine. I want him to enjoy being a child, to see the world, and to have fun. Besides, I have a teaching degree. It's fine and we're giving him a good life, based on what we feel is best. Okay, breathe. I'm a good mom.
Overall, we're happy to be back in such an amazing city. We love it here!