Skip to main content

Google Orientation


After a week in Michigan, I flew out to California for my orientation at Google. I had been looking forward to being at Google's headquarters and seeing all of the crazy things that I'd heard about for so long, but I was also sad to be leaving my wife and son behind in an empty apartment for 5 days. I love traveling and being somewhere new, but I miss my family so much when I'm gone. Ah well, time to look on the bright side, and the side was very bright indeed.


But things started with a little hitch. Google had arranged a rental car for me, so when I went to pick it up I was asked to show my drivers license. I instantly remembered that since I'm in the process of getting a Michigan license, I'd left my temporary one back in Ann Arbor. Bad news! So I took a train to San Francisco to meet a friend who drove me to my hotel!

Google seems to treat its employees well, even the Pooglers!

Google's headquarters was absolutely unbelievable. The campus was massive. I felt like I was at the very heart of innovation. Everybody was so welcoming, smart, and accomplished. It was exciting to feel a part of it. And you may have heard about the free food. It was so great. I didn't realize this before, but it isn't just free food. It is free restaurants. Loads of them. Each with different menus, and the food is absolutely unbelievable. I kept reaching for my wallet to pay or leave a tip. So good.


After being there for a little while and exploring around the campus, I decided that a new goal of mine was to eventually work from Mountain View. It seems like one of those opportunities that I just need to have in my career, and I know that Laleinia would love to be in California for a little while with Emre too. Could we settle there? Probably not. I still can't imagine us settling anywhere, but Silicon Valley is definitely on the list now.


I probably only saw 20% of the campus, but it seemed like everything you could ever need or want was there. We will definitely be spending some more time there in the next little while. Anyways, the orientation went well. I was really excited to get my "Noogler" hat at the end of it all!

I can't pull off hats. Even ones as absurd as this.

Most importantly, it was so nice to get back to Ann Arbor to be with my Laleinia and Emre. As much as I am excited for the future, and to one day be back at Google's headquarters, Ann Arbor seems really great so far, and we are really excited to be here! Here's to exploring A2!