Skip to main content

The Quirkiness of Pregnancy



Since we’re at the final countdown for the arrival of Baby McKee, I wanted to share some of the quirky moments during this pregnancy as well as a few tips for the future baby creators out there!

1st Trimester
It was like I reverted back to my teenage years, breaking out and all that jazz. My hormones were so out of whack, that I would get these humongous crater-like zits that would last for weeks and months! I still have remnants from two of these bad boys… hooray for scarring??? There was one Mordor of a zit on my forehead and I could tell that people were staring at it. One morning, before work, I irrationally cut myself some bangs. Silly, I know, but at least people weren't staring into the eye of Sauron! So, I rocked the bang look for a little while, which is always fun!

Tip: Don’t overdo it! I can be pretty stubborn and I would ignore Alastair when he would tell me that I needed to just chill, and so there were times where I regretted overdoing things. Just recognize when you need to tap out. And it’s never too early to start buying baby items. Every time that we would go shopping, we would buy one baby item, like diapers or wipes or anything that the baby needs. By the time that your baby arrives, you’ll be prepared. Buying everything at once is too overwhelming and expensive, so break it up.


2nd Trimester
During this stage of pregnancy, it was filled with random moments. There was a particular incident that involved Taco Bell, but you’ll have to hear that story in person, it’s just way too ridiculous! On the first day of week 18, I felt the baby move. We were on our way back from Las Vegas. We were listening to Kings of Leon and Bob Marley, and I would feel these little flutters. I grabbed Alastair's hand to show him as well, but of course, he couldn't feel it. Baby McKee’s favorite song to move and shake is “Waiting In Vain.” I like to think this baby has good taste in music.

Tip: Do something to feel pretty. This may seem kind of vain, but you need to appreciate and love the body that you’re in! Your body is changing and you have a Buddha belly, so you’re definitely going to feel different! Whether it’s buying pricier makeup, buying a new maternity dress, going out to dinner, getting new nail polish, curling your hair, or taking a bath in candlelight, just do something to feel extra special. And if you can’t reach your toes, let your husband paint your nails; glitter nail polish is quite forgiving!


3rd Trimester
I feel like I've caught a glimpse of what I’ll be like when I’m old: super slow, shuffling, waddling, forgetful, and pretty darn hilarious! I don’t know why, but I get into these terrible giggle fits! There was one time where Alastair and I were going to have friends visit us and I mixed up the dates. On the date where I thought they were coming, I was freaking out and called them to see if they had arrived. My friend told me that they weren't coming until next month, on the correct date. For some reason, I thought this was so hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing for a good 20 minutes! Tears were streaming down my face, I couldn't breathe, my stomach hurt, it was such an intense giggle fit!
I've started to feel that “lightening” feeling, so that means that the baby is starting to make its way down. We’re getting close! Whenever I feel the baby move, I’ll say to Baby McKee, “ARRRRREE YOOOOUUUUU RRREEADDDYYY?!?!?!?!” in a WWE wrestler voice. I've even gotten Alastair to say it with me, it’s pretty fun!

Tip: Lather up with all the lotions, potions, oils, and moisturizers in the world! You might be blessed with the hereditary trait of not getting stretch marks (not me!), but you will get itchy! I do live in a very dry climate, but nobody told me that my belly would get itchy from all the stretching. So, lather up…and exfoliate!

I've truly enjoyed being pregnant, but I’m pretty much ready for this baby to get here! I've been feeling Baby McKee moving for quite some time now; I’m just ready to meet him or her in the flesh. So, Baby McKee….ARRRRREE YOOOOUUUUU RRREEADDDYYY?!?!?!?!