Skip to main content

The Never Ending Adventure


I’ve become somewhat of a recluse, and I’m perfectly ok with that! Lately, I’ve wanted to just enjoy living in the moment. Alastair and I haven’t gone on crazy exciting adventures, mostly due to work, but it’s been what we need. I’ve really come to enjoy the slow pace of life, going about our daily endeavors. It’s our calm before the storm.

As many of you know, Alastair and I will be adding to our crew of two. We haven’t made a big fuss of it all, mainly because there’s way too much frill with all this gender reveal parties and baby announcement videos and whatnot. But hey, to each his own! I’ve loved having this feeling like it’s our “little secret.”  We’ve also loved just telling our family and friends in person. It’s so wonderful to see their reactions to our news. My all-time favorite reaction has to go to Connor; it was so great to just see him process it all and let the news sink in. Priceless!

Before I go on, I have to be a little honest here. I’ve been extremely apprehensive to write this post. I’ve probably written over 20 drafts about sharing this news on the blog, but I’ve always ended up deleting it. I mean, how can one truly convey their deepest feelings about this miracle that’s taking place in their life without downplaying it while also not being overbearing? And let’s be honest, no one reads this thing anyways! But I will say this; I am extremely blessed and grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who has given us this opportunity to be parents. Heavenly Father knows exactly what we need at the exact time that we need it. He truly has a plan for each and every one of us. No one will truly understand the miracle that Heavenly Father has blessed me with, but I guess that will be our “little secret” between Him and I.

So… let’s get down to the nitty gritty!

When we found out we were pregnant, we kind of had to be discreet about it. Alastair’s mom and brother were staying with us, so we kind of had to maneuver around them without seeming suspicious. Right after work, I hid the oh-so-fun test in my purse and booked it into the bathroom. I let Alastair in and waited for the tell-all stick to work its magic. We stared at that thing and within a few seconds, two blue lines. Boom! Pregnant. We stared at each other and then I jumped and threw my hands up in the air, then fell to my knees and started crying. I just couldn’t believe that a baby was growing in me and that I was going to be a mom. Seriously, one of the craziest experiences of my life!

This whole pregnancy can be summed up into two words: just peachy! The best thing about this pregnancy is that Alastair is my compaƱero in all this. He’s truly amazing! It’s fun to watch him feel the baby move or just to stare at my belly and to see him let out this big smile. This baby is going to be so lucky to have such an amazing dad! When we went in for our first visit, the doctor said something really sweet. He said, “When you get married, you combine all the stuff you have. It’s a certain percentage of his stuff and a certain percentage of her stuff. But when you have a baby, this is the first time where something is 100% yours and 100% yours.” I absolutely loved that because it’s so true! With all the constant kicking, I can imagine this child with a feisty and exuberant personality like Alastair's. I can’t wait to meet this little kid and to see what it looks like. All I know is that we’ll be giving this baby some pretty fierce eyebrows!

What this all comes down to is that I’m so thankful that the baby is doing great! Right from the start, the doctors would say “amazing” or “outstanding,” and we take pride in that. One of the most comforting times in all this was when we went to do an ultrasound where they meticulously checked the whole baby. They seriously check for EVERYTHING, things that I didn’t even consider! Club feet, cleft palate, fluids, blood flow, heart chambers, this, that, and the other; it was overwhelming! But the most comforting thing about it all was to know that the baby was doing amazing. All I wanted and want for this baby is to know that it’s doing ok. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, you don’t really have control over all this. You can’t tell your body, “Ok, let’s focus on building the brain today” or, “I think we need to spend a little extra time constructing the left ventricle.” Your body just does what it does. I’m just grateful that everything’s going fine. I don’t care if my body is tagged with a million stretch marks or I gain 1,000 pounds, all I care about is the fact that my baby is doing fine!


All in all, we are having a baby and we’re super excited to add to our family of two and to experience this adventure we call life! This kid has no idea how rad its life is going to be!